Fairy tales and Friendships.

Doing the right thing is not only the hardest thing to do, but is, more importantly, the most annoying thing to do. It's annoying because you don't want to do it, but you know you have to. Despite the fact that it is rewarding and very liberating, we often tend to think about the downsides to doing the right thing - how it's going to affect us, how it's going to force us to change the way we think or feel, and how it's going to essentially suck. We feel this way because we relate doing good with losing, which of course, sounds silly, but is actually true. Of course at first, we don't realize that in doing the wrong thing we'd actually be losing more. If we were to ignore these conscientious thoughts and do whatever it is we'd rather do, it wouldn't be good for us in the long run. It's like eating cupcakes instead of skipping it. The cupcakes are good and definitely irresistible, but it wouldn't really contribute to our well-being because it'll turn into a bad habit, which would then turn into fat. You get the picture. Doing the right thing is tough, but no one ever said it was easy.

On another note, I recently saw When Harry Met Sally which is one of my favorite romantic films of all time. That movie always gets me thinking about men and women and the possibility or the impossibility of fostering a platonic friendship. Harry says it's not possible because attraction gets in the way. I think it's true. I asked my little brother what he thought and he said, "Yeah men and women can be friends...if the guy is gay." Great answer - which was just what I needed. The film poses that question, "Can men and women really be friends?" but the answer lies within the film itself! If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do so you can conjure up an opinion of your own. All I can say is, we all know what a real friendship looks like. And it definitely does not involve attraction of any kind.

In retrospect, I have come to the realization that I want something more out of life --- in terms of dreams, goals, plans, and relationships. If I'm going to dare to dream big then I might as well go all out. I'm not going to settle for anything less than the best. After all, as Sally said in the film, "I am not a consolation prize." I know what I want, and recognize what I deserve...and "I want the fairy tale." (Julia Roberts, Pretty Woman)

And a fairy tale I shall get.

0 comments: