When negativity bites you in the butt.

Being a recent graduate is quite peculiar. It's like going through puberty all over again; minus the awkward growth spurts.  You party and celebrate your liberation from the grips of educational institutions from which you have been constantly subjected to since you were like, three years old. Then you start the job-hunt, or move back home, or both, and all of a sudden, you question why on earth you partied and celebrated like a fool just a couple weeks back when all graduation really meant was the END to a great era called COLLEGE LIFE.  In debt, jobless, and surprisingly overcome with boredom, you wonder why you had looked forward to graduation in the first place. You're confused, lost, maybe even slightly depressed and possibly harboring some low self-esteem, and you ask yourself: will I ever land a job? Your dreams of becoming "who-you-want-to-be" are totally erased; and you begin entertaining thoughts of what could happen to you if you don't pay your student loan payments on time. The worst part of it all is that you feel that it is only happening to YOU.  

There was nothing my mother could say or do to convince me that I wasn't alone in this and that I had what it takes to jump start my career. She kept telling me that all I had to do was to stay positive - and here I was telling her a number of reasons why I just couldn't. Our conversation eventually turned sour; and ended with her hanging up on me. I managed to give her a headache by constantly reminding her that the odds were stacked against me and that there was nothing I could do about it. I was definitely lacking some positive juices today. Darn.

0 comments: