Water really does you good.

I finally embarked on my anti-chub journey and started working out again, with my running buddy Jackie. We've both packed on some unwanted pounds over the course of our senior year and have been looking forward to this summer's workouts since school ended for both of us. We started this week with a bang: on Monday we ran 4.5 miles around our local lake. Surprisingly, none of us collapsed or sprained anything, considering we hadn't worked out in so long. Then again it was probably because we were running at an injured snail's pace. But that doesn't matter. 
On Tuesday, we challenged ourselves by running AND swimming. We ran around the lake again, and put in our 4.5 miles for the day and then we drove to a local lap pool and swam about 22 laps. Holy cow were we tired! We were on a mission. There was no stopping us --- that is, until we got home and took long naps. We were exhausted.
Nonetheless, we pushed through for Wednesday and ran around the lake yet again. We were running faster than when we first started, so our blistered feet and inexperienced lungs were definitely hating us. It was not quite an easy run. Personally, my legs were just about ready to fall off. I was surprised I finished running the whole thing with all my limbs still intact. My blistered feet, though? Well that's another story.
Thursday... was hell. We decided we were probably pro enough to try this one trail Jackie and her buddies used to do in her running class. The Gate, which was a trail that basically leads to (you guessed it) a gate, may sound simple, but there's a catch. You have to run through a steep hill to get to it. I was a MESS! I was trudging along the hill for what seemed like forever, my lungs were pumping like there was no tomorrow, and my heart --- oh my poor heart was beating itself to death. I concluded that this trail was definitely another form of self-torture...but believe it or not, we finished. Miraculously, we felt fine afterwards, so we thought, why not go for the gold? We then proceeded to do some water aerobics at the local pool. 
Now we get to today --- which we started off by running laps around the local track. We were originally planning on running about 16 laps (which is generally about 4 miles), but we got interrupted by a class at the end of our 8th lap so we left and went home. But the day is not over yet --- later today we are going to run about 6 miles at this place by the marina. Hoorah! Here's to hoping I make it through that.
This week was definitely tough, but I have to admit, it feels pretty darn good to get back into working out again! It'll definitely be a challenge trying to lose all those pounds but I'm up for it. Aside from learning that consistency and persistence are both key in living healthy, I learned another thing in terms of effective weight loss: drink tons of water. I've heard many people say it to me before, but none of them ever explained why. Jackie found the answer in her Biochemistry book. According to it, water washes the fat cells away. AH! Now it all makes sense. At least now there is a logical explanation as to why it'd be good to drink gallons of water. Well, cheers to that!
*Photo courtesy of: Miox. My Water. My World. www.miox.com
*Biochemistry Book: Campbell

0 comments: