Life after college.

It took five days of four-hour long visits to the swimming pool to finally get myself that California-girl tan. Problem is, I didn't just get tanned, I got burnt like a strip of bacon. Despite the extreme turnout of my sunbathing experience, I have to admit---I'm pretty psyched that my legs now match the color of the rest of my body.  So I don’t mind the crisp-bacon look, so long as my life-long battle with milky-white legs has finally come to an end.  My summer is definitely off to a great start. (Below is a nifty photo of me, beaming in all my tanned glory):

Since I graduated a week ago, I've been doing a whole bunch of NOTHING, which includes an unending cycle of: swimming, eating, drinking, and sleeping (repeat 5x). It is both weird and exciting getting up every morning and not having to think about going to class and doing homework. My mind-operated to-do list has slowed down its activity since I turned in my last undergraduate paper two weeks ago, and I must say it feels pretty good not having to think about deadlines one after another. My brain calendar went on auto-pilot as soon as summer hit, and I've been forgetting what day it was for the past week. What a mess! Not to mention, I haven't written a thing since school ended. No blogs, journals, nor emails. Not even a myspace message or a comment! For some insane reason, I just haven’t felt like writing. In fact, I didn't even want to do anything that came close to it. So I started to panic. I began to question myself: Was I still cut out to be a writer? Was I starting to figure out that writing was not for me? Was I *(gasp)* getting a permanent writer's block? I had to get answers, and I had to get them quick. So I started thinking to myself while I was out toasting and roasting in the sun --- and I came to a conclusion: maybe I was just exhausted. After all, I had just finished one of the hardest academic quarters of my life, and I had just written countless pages of fluff-less papers that I actually worked hard to complete. I needed a vacation. My brain needed to take a break from thinking analytically. I assured myself that I was still a writer, just going on cruise control for a week or two. Oddly enough, it calmed me down.

Now I'm off to packing and cleaning up since I'm moving back home with the parentals, which, believe it or not, is actually not a horrible thing. Besides getting to save money, I get to spend time with the family, which I definitely missed when I was away. It will still be a challenge, no doubt, but I'm still glad I have them to come home to.  I'm gonna have to get used to sharing my space again and re-instating my role as the bathroom cleaner; but for $0 of rent/mo., I can't complain. I'm a broke (yet tanned =] ) recent college graduate, and I've got dreams to chase. I'm going to have to suck it up and sacrifice for now.  Besides, it's harder to chase your dreams when you're homeless. And hungry.

0 comments: